“Barche da Vicenza, Frassene, Este e Monselice: andar in su soldi quattro, a venir in zo soldi tre” (Boats from Vicenza, Frassene, Este and Monselice: going up four coins, going down three coins) echoes the 1656 price list carved at the gates of Dolo.
This inscription shows how the Brenta was busy.
The history of Dolo
In 1700 Dolo was the main center of the Riviera del Brenta and has developed on the two banks.
Here the mills were installed (there remains only one still working) and the only “squero” of all the Brenta, still existing (although dry) and recently restored.
The name Dolo probably derives from the Paduan Dauli family, which had vast estates in this area.
At the navigation basin, buried in 1933, the Istrian stone with taxes, the hydrometer and the registration with tolls for ships in transit are preserved.
The area of the navigation basin and the mills, have been immortalized by several artists, evidence of how important the Dolo was from the commercial point of view.
One of them is the Canaletto of which we report two paintings (on the left the mills area of about 1730, and on the right the navigation basin of about 1750).
How to reach Dolo
From Agriturismo Ca ‘Marcello it is very easy to reach Dolo.
Go left following the Brenta. Pass the first bridge you find and go left towards Padova.
Dolo is after Mira and you can see it immediately because of its centrality of the Riviera del Brenta, which has remained unchanged over time.
Stroll through the streets of Dolo
All made pleasant by the bars and pubs which are there, where to get an ice cream, an aperitif, and / or eat. Recommended especially in spring and summer evenings 🙂
Market day: Friday morning (Piazza Mercato).
Antique market: every fourth Sunday of the month (excluding July and August).
Carneval dei Storti: carnival with wagons and masks that is generally celebrated the weekend after the end of the carnival. Check the dates and related events on the Pro Loco di Dolo Facebook page.